[opendtv] Re: Radio, TV, and local news

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:06:10 -0800

Sounds like a failure of the CC stations to properly implement
local/regional EAS, or the EAS originator (usually the county) to properly
test things.  Probably both.

When we had the "Cedar Fire" three years ago, the idiots running the EAS
system never activated it.  (Now, they use "reverse 911."  This was the
third largest fire in California history; fast moving, dangerous (about a
dozen killed) and more than 3,500 homes burnt.

Radio and TV (public, commercial) were Cedar Fire 24/7 for days.  Not a peep
from our EAS system.

John Willkie