[opendtv] Re: RGB mania ('translated' for Prin)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:05:52 -0500

Jeroen Stessen wrote:

> So images that contain large bright areas are
> limited, to perhaps 20-25% peak brightness,
> whereas images that contain only specular
> highlights on a dark background are not limited.
> The average power limiter is added to prevent
> overload of the EHT power supply and to
> safeguard the life time of the picture tube and
> limit the temperature.

Thanks for this, Jeroen. Would have been nice to
know when I started playing with my new LCD toy.
What you describe with CRTs is why they are so
easy to adjust. Because you get a natural
reduction in dynamic range, which allows settings
to be much less critical. You won't get blinded
by the whites, the blacks will not disappear, and
the sparklies will look right too, within a
fairly broad range of adjustment.

If Joe Kane advises against this, it's a purist's
view. Same applies to recording audio without ever
going into clipping or auto-limting. But how many
VCRs or DVDRs even have record audio level
controls anymore? (My first VHS HiFi recorder did,
years and years ago, and none since.)

> That is a correct reaction. Your contrast ratio
> will be even worse, but you will see more details
> in the blacks. It has to do with the differential
> gain of the display (defined by its gamma curve)
> and the differential gain of your eyes (defined
> by a similar inverse gamma curve).

Yes, what you describe is what happened. So I've
been tweaking the settings, and I re-tweaked after
reading this thread.

At first, I backed off a lot on the white level
(contrast), because I was trying to emulate a
CRT's non-blinding white in all-white backgrounds.
But that did cause a lack of contrast in the image,
so it wasn't satisfactory. So I've slowly been
increasing the white level. The black level has
stayed in the same place ever since Christmas day,
when I got this TV.

Now that I know that very bright all-white
backgounds are to be expected, I'm quite happy
with my settings. By the way, "contrast" is still
set 18 percent lower than it was out of the box.