[opendtv] Re: QuickTime Codecs

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 15:02:28 -0800

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 2:40 PM,  <dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With the recent discussion of QT, I thought I would ask a QT question:
>
> A customer requested that we encode a file for them in MP4 or MOV.  But
> obviously, QT/MOV files can use a number of different codecs.  The file is
> to be used for streaming over the internet.  Any recommendations on which
> codec will be the best for internet streaming and be the most widely
> available to all computers that might watch it?  I'm actually going to use
> Sorenson Squeeze to do the transcoding (from Avid codec), if possible.

Two options (of many):

1. Use Darwin Streaming Server, and play the MP4/MOV content using
Quicktime players - H264+AAC
2. Use Adobe FMS, and play the content using a flash player (desktop
or web-embedded) - H264+MP3

Obviously Flash has more footprint but is not free on the server side.

You could roll it yourself or just use a CDN that supports these
servers (and you just have to upload your files and point to the
streaming URLs).

Cheers
Kon