[opendtv] Question about analog transmissions from stations also transmitting 8VSB...

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:56:14 -0500

I'm assuming that all network programming is digital these days and that the analog versions stations transmit are from an NTSC output of an MPEG-2 demod. There may other ways ??? that are used to develop the analog signal too.

The question is:
Is the NTSC signal from an MPEG-2 decoder [or other ??? source] developed in the I and Q format or R-Y and B-Y?

Further, is I and Q encoding still an FCC requirement, or has the rule been relaxed so that R-Y and B-Y encoding can be used?
Thanks.