[opendtv] Re: Qualcomm on Channel 55

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:01:40 -0500

>>I've actually been somewhat afraid to mention this, oddly fearing
>>that it will come to pass, but the logical thing to do in ATSC is to
>>use MPEG2 SD for one channel, and an AVC sub-channel for HD.  That
>>way, no receivers stop working.  You'd have something like 15-16Mbps
>>for the AVC channel, which is plenty.
>>
>>Sure doesn't mean that everybody will stay happy though!

The problem is ... people with HDTVs now will have then stop
delivering HD.

If this happens, it should be required that the people
demanding the change replace all the STBs and integrated
TVs that stop delivering HD ... at no cost to the users.

Folks ... we have an HD standard in our country. It's set in
concrete. Anybody who wants to have people's current
OTS TVs stop delivering what they get no will have to pay
for replacing them.

If the people claiming that "nobody" has OTA HDTVs are correct,
then the cost of doing so is zero.

Somehow, I don;t think they will put their money where their
mouths are.

Doug McDonald