[opendtv] Re: Qualcomm on Channel 55

  • From: John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:37:18 -0400

I've actually been somewhat afraid to mention this, oddly fearing
that it will come to pass, but the logical thing to do in ATSC is to
use MPEG2 SD for one channel, and an AVC sub-channel for HD.  That
way, no receivers stop working.  You'd have something like 15-16Mbps
for the AVC channel, which is plenty.

Sure doesn't mean that everybody will stay happy though!