[opendtv] Re: Qualcom OFDM networks with MediaFlo

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:36:18 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>At 1:06 PM -0500 11/10/04, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>

>>The original concept was to transmit both one-way
>>TV and two-way cellular service using cdma2000.
>>The TV signals would use regular TV-like broadcast
>>towers. However, in order to allow for efficient
>>frequency reuse for the two-way cellular service,
>>the cellular service could not possibly also make
>>use of the big stick(s).
>>

>here we go again...
>
>So I take it Bert was involved in the development of this system and
>knows that this was the original plan. If this is not the case,
>perhaps Bert can provide us with some evidence that this is what
>Qualcom was planning to do.
>

>>THEREFORE, replacing the CDMA big stick with a
>>COFDM big stick is easy enough to do, especially
>>when DVB-H already exists to make this an
>>efficient proposition for hand-helds.
>>

>They are not using COFDM big sticks Bert.
>
>This was documented by both Bob and myself. Please do not confuse the
>use of really high powered transmitters (50KW to 1 MW) on really big
>sticks, with what Qualcom has announced.  They may be "big sticks"
>compared to existing cellular networks, however they are just what
>yo0u would expect for a COFDM-based Single Frequency Network.
>

>>So there's no "backward compatible" mumbo jumbo
>>involved here at all. It is just a way of
>>reapportioning the 700 MHz frequency band they
>>bought to provide the two services they want to
>>sell.
>>

>You obviously did not read the links I provided. These networks have
>been designed to work together to maximize the potential for both.
>The backbone structure for both networks uses the SAME IP packet
>structure.  The servers provide this data in a form that is equally
>useful for both modulation schemes (i.e. the packets are the SAME).
>COFDM is simply a more efficient way to deliver this data to CDMA
>enabled appliances, especially as it relates to power consumption.
>

>>> Using CDMA unicast is highly inefficient, both
>>> in terms of spectral efficiency and power
>>> consumption,
>>>

>>Bull. CDMA is only less spectrally efficient than
>>COFDM *if* you use COFDM at 16-QAM or better.
>>That's because the CDMA downlink uses QPSK
>>(uplink BPSK). So you trade off robustness for bit
>>rate. But "highly inefficient" is clearly an
>>exaggeration. With CDMA, they might create
>>multiple channels with orthogonal spreading
>>codes. With COFDM, they might instead create
>>a single broadcast channel, and have receivers
>>tune into different subchannels of that one band.
>>

>You missed it again Bert.
>
>The channels are 1.25 MHz. They can be used to deliver any kind of
>packet data including audio and video.  But this has nothing to do
>with what I wrote.
>
>Spectral efficiency comes from the ability  to use the best form of
>modulation AND network infrastructure for unicast AND multicast data.
>The high density of CDMA towers achieves two benefits:

> [...]
I should mention that the Qualcomm plan is not nearly as far along as
their press releases suggest. Also the rules for the spectrum they are
using limit the power to 50 kW ERP. So it is impossible for them to be
considering MEGA Watt power levels. For example they talk of delivering
local content but with a country wide SFN that would be ridiculous and
if you don't have a country wide SFN you have to allow for a lot of area
where there would be no coverage between SFNs. So I don't think they
have thought it through totally.

It might be possible, however, to petition the FCC to allow higher power
levels in some areas. After all they do own channel 55 country wide.

Bob Miller