[opendtv] Re: Qualcom OFDM networks with MediaFlo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:43:26 -0500

Kon Wilms wrote:

I had written:

> >In fact, you need use no IP overhead at all. The
> >broadcast TV traffic can use MPEG-2 TS without IP
> >overhead, and the two-way traffic can use normal
> >circuits as defined in CDMA. Or IP overhead can be
> >added to the data circuits of the CDMA 2-way
> >unicast service. And/or IP overhead can be added
> >to the MPEG-2 TS in the broadcast service. This
> >is all very interesting, but let's not over-hype.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since FLO is ip unicast
and multicast overlay for data delivery, you'd be
stuffing that MPEG2 TS in UDP packets. That sounds
like.. a really bad idea.

I agree that would be ugly.

No, more like the other way around. What do they use
for a link layer? How do they synchronize their
frames? They must have something under IP.

If it's not MPEG-2 TS, it's something else. Point
being, there's nothing earth shattering about
making everything IP-encapsulated. By itself, that's
not such a big deal. What's important is that
every frame be recognizable and that the system
support the types of data flows they want to
provide. By itself, IP encapsulation doesn't
explain how this is done. For some flows, IP
encapsulation is not much more than unnecessary
overhead.