[opendtv] Re: Qualcom OFDM networks with MediaFlo

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:28:19 -0400

>When we talked about this infrastructure, I
>explained that you could mix and match any
>modulation scheme and different transmitters
>entirely. Remember? You were instead pushing this
>imprecise concept of an all-COFDM mesh of small
>sticks. Need I remind you? Was it 10-30 KW per
>stick? Or less? It made no sense then, and it
>doesn't make sense now either.

No Bert. I have consistently been stating that a COFDM SFN will
consist of 3-5 medium sticks in most markets. Obviously this depends
on market conditions. In the flatlands, with few obstructions, it may
be beneficial to use higher power levels on fewer sticks. In urban
areas, you may want more lower powered sticks. Every marekt will be
different, but none will require a mesh of small sticks, unless you
want to start talking about repeaters inside buildings, subways, etc.

>The appliance would simply incorporate both
>tuners. This is a CDMA *and* COFDM enabled
>appliance, if that terminology makes you happy.=20

 From a purely technical perspective you are correct. From an
implementatiuon perspective you are wrong. The real power of this
initiative is how the two networks are meshed together using common
data representations and the available back channel to enhance the
service offerings.

>It moves the high bit rate TV channel traffic off
>the 2-way infrastructure. Wow. Isn't that how
>DOCSIS and cable TV works?

A rather narrow view of what Qualcom is trying to do with this
system. As I noted yesterday, they DO NOT intend to compete with
cable or DBS. It is unlikely that they will every have more than a
handful of live streaming channels. That IS NOT what this service is
about.

>Your references said high power towers. They did
>not even hint at 10-30 KW towers you had mentioned
>previously. The arithmetic never did work for
>those small sticks, Craig, and no amount of
>obfuscation can change that fact.

We disagree. Youa re simply wrong about this.

>As far as I can tell, none of the above is
>remotely similar to your previous utility
>concepts. But I am gratified that maybe you're
>starting to get it?

And I am gratified that you still don't get it. It keeps things interesting!