[opendtv] Re: Q on digital OTA broadcasts

  • From: Ron Economos <w6rz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 19:46:12 -0800

The only copy control method for ATSC is the rc_descriptor
or "Broadcast Flag". It does not define any levels such as
"copy once" or "copy never".

Since ATSC DVD recorders were developed after the repeal
of the Broadcast Flag, none of them honor the flag in any way.
You should be able to record any ATSC signal whether it
contains an rc_descriptor or not.

Ron

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

I've been considering a Philips combo DVDR/PVR for Christmas. But in the
owner's manual, it says something about copy protected broadcasts won't
copy.

In the past, when using an NTSC-only Philips DVDR, I discovered that
many local broadcasters (apparently) set the "copy never" code in their
analog broadcasts, in spite of the fact that the FCC has said time and
again that time-shift recording is supposed to be allowed ALWAYS. I seem
to have been able to sidestep this limitation by sending baseband video
from an ATSC STB to the Philips recorder, using an S-video interface, so
this hasn't been an issue for me in about the past three years. But I
know that this gremlin is still lurking there in the background

So, my question for broadcasters is, how are the ATSC transmissions
encoded? Copy once? Copy never? Is this going to make me want to write
letters to the FCC to get working right?

If you tell me that I'm better off to keep doing what I'm doing now, I'm
sure I can find other things to spend my money on. Not looking for
aggravation.

Many thanks for any informed replies.