[opendtv] Re: Push for Ultra HD 4K forces picture quality tradeoffs - CNET

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 09:01:50 +0200

Hi all,

Mark and Donald are right that motion portrayal is important.
High brightness makes your eyes respond faster, making good
motion portrayal even more important.

I once looked at a 60 fps CRT monitor and it flickered. Then I
put on my sunglasses and the flickering was gone.

HDR and HFR are orthogonal to each other, you can implement
one with or without the other. 4K UHD is not so orthogonal,
it costs a lot of bandwidth, and once you have a higher static
resolution you're also badly going to wish for a higher dynamic
resolution.

The "visible spectrum" covers the entire horseshoe in the (x,y)
or (u',v') plane, i.e. all the colors that human eyes can ever see.
The BT.2020 gamut covers only a large triangular part of that,
i.e. all the colors that you would reasonably want to see except
maybe some extreme cyan. Choosing an RGB-based color gamut
is a trade-off between gamut size, accuracy, and wasted codes.
The (u',v') representation is so much more efficient than (Cb,Cr)
that we can easily afford to cover the entire visible gamut.

I remind you that Philips no longer makes TVs, that has all been
licensed to various companies like TP Vision, my former employer.
I am now with Philips IP&S, who do research and write standards.
Our work can land in any TV brand in the world.

Best,
-- Jeroen