[opendtv] Re: Public M/H information

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:33:10 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> That being said, Apple is selling 360P via the iTunes store...

That's close to right, if you use the 1.6 arcmin criterion for visual
acuity. The closest viewing distance should be 6 picture heights, at
360p.

People expect pretty pictures, it's really that simple. It might not be
all they expect, but nevertheless...

I'm intrigued by Mark Schubin's quote of the NHK research findings. I'll
bet the fact that we can discern differences of much less than even 1
arcmin has to do with our eyes rescanning the image from slightly
different viewing angles. Whereas the 1 or 1.6 arcmin acuity assumes
looking straight at the image without moving the eyes at all. Some
effect like that.