[opendtv] Re: Public M/H information

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 07:07:50 -0500

At 11:47 AM -0800 12/20/08, John Willkie wrote:
Let me see. Samsung, LG, Nokia, Audiovox and Kenwood will be supporting M/H
from the handset end of things.  As a starter.  Which is not to say that the
pump will still need some priming.

Are you saying that they are putting M/H into phones?

I can easily believe that they will build receivers, but getting a telco to sell phones with this capability is quite another problem.

The holdup is that only at the highest end of the market are such phones
sold independent of cell carriers and their subsidies.  And, you can't make
this service a commercial success without a broader base than that.

Youa re correct.

But, there is still a chicken and egg situation. The most interesting
features -- using the OMA rich media environment and the optional back
channel capability in M/H 1.0 will involve skill sets that are still quite
new to broadcast workflows.

Correct again. You;re on a roll!

Apple is free to play catch-up, but I think their position as innovators
would be better served by being the first to enter the market.  Indeed, my
reading of the NAB fastroad report is that it was geared to Apple.

No doubt that Apple could play here, if broadcasters were to provide appropriate bits. I would note that they are playing in the HD radio area with iTunes tagging.