[opendtv] Re: Public M/H information

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 07:41:03 -0500

At 10:31 AM -0800 12/19/08, John Willkie wrote:
It would be nice if the iPhone could receive M/H content by, say, the first
MacWorld conference without an Apple presence (2010).  Funny that the
fanbase hasn't seen this as a possible omen that Apple is at least
deprecating computers.  (Along with the company name change.)

Seen what?

That trade shows are becoming dinosaurs along with broadcasting?

I have not attended one of these Mac love fests in more than a decade. And I attended my last NAB last year. To be honest, the highlight of NAB last year was dinner with you and other OpenDTV list members.

As for deprecating computers, you've got the wrong company. It is Microsoft and its legion of me too PC vendors who continue to sell the same old kool-aid to the public and enterprise. Innovation is all but dead in this market sector. For these folks, cheap 'netbooks" are the next big thing...

eeeerrrrrrr make that little thing.

Apple is evolving the very notion of what a computer is. They have been moving away from desktops for some time now, while growing their share of the laptop market. The iPhone and Touch are the next generation of computing, not some PC on steroids for gamers.

As for M/H support, first we must get past the chicken and egg problem. No Mobile phone manufacturer, including Apple, is going to blaze the trail for broadcasters here.

If broadcasters have any chance to develop a viable service here, THEY are going to need to prime the pump. This means provisioning the service with content that people want, and working with CE vendors to develop and promote receivers.

IF they do this and consumers show interest in the service, Apple and others will support it.