[opendtv] Re: Program adjacency

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:56:14 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Hey Bert. Better tell these people that program adjacency doesn't
> work anymore...

Maybe I'm misreading something here, but it doesn't seem to work at all.
What works is to air the same sort of program during the evening, I
think, not the fact that they are consecutive on the same channel.

Right? Here's what I see:

"NBC's new game show 'Identity' got off to a solid start Monday night,
retaining all of its 'Deal or No Deal' lead-in to tie for the top show
of the night.

"The 9 p.m. premiere received a 4.4 rating among adults 18 to 49,
according to preliminary Nielsen Media Research figures, the same as 8
p.m.'s 'Deal,' and helped win the night for NBC. A repeat of 'Studio 60'
followed (1.7)."

Correct me if I'm wrong. As I read that, two back to back *game shows*
did about the same, no surprise, and then a rerun of an off-beat sort of
*drama* show did not fare so well. Again, no surprise. Viewers went off
to some other channel, or listened to music instead.

Seems to me that if broadcasters think adjacency has zip to do with it,
they will be scratching their heads why Studio 60 does so poorly. If
Studio 60 did poorly, I'd be looking at the fact that it was a rerun and
I'd be looking at what was on in that same time slot on other channels.
Adjacency is not a consideration at all.

Ditto with sitcoms that might be aired back to back on ABC. No surprise
that they also do about the same.

Ironically, though, as long as I have the Accurian STB, with only an
on/off timer in it, adjacency does work with me. In the sense that I
have to pick one network only for any given recording session. For your
info, I find it very rare indeed that three consecutive shows in any
evening prime time are interesting enough to record. If it ever happens,
it would be CBS. Then again, no matter, I'd find it hard to sit through
three shows.