[opendtv] Re: Production Codecs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:16:59 -0400

Don Moore wrote:

> Dan Grimes wrote:
>>
>> I wish we didn't have to deal with 29.97 and just use 30.  Is
>> there any reason to work in a non-integer format as of Feb. 19,
>> 2009?  I suppose I'll still need to work with other systems out
>> there.
>
> The DTV Transition is OTA / RF TRANSMISSION and not customer
> driven! As long as people subscribe to cable and satellite
> services, the NTSC standard will live on for several more
> generations of equipment.  Once the CEA figures out how to
> convince EVERYONE to toss everything that is not a
> computer-based video device, we will have to continue to make
> NTSC content (or at least make a conversion to NTSC).

IIRC, John Shutt said some time ago that there is no actual interference
problem between the chroma carrier and the audio carrier, even at 30
fps, in all NTSC receivers likely to exist today. Is this not the case?

If true, then wouldn't ATSC offer the opportunity to begin producing
content at a true 30 or 60 fps? Since that's a legitimate option?

Seems to me that composite or S-video NTSC wouldn't care anyway, and any
laggards using the RF interface shouldn't either.