[opendtv] Re: Production Codecs

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:20:26 -0700

When you say drop four frames, I assume you are talking about the time
code and not actually dropping essence.  Am I correct?

I wish we didn't have to deal with 29.97 and just use 30.  Is there any
reason to work in a non-integer format as of Feb. 19, 2009?  I suppose
I'll still need to work with other systems out there.

Are there any insights you can provide to helping get MXF to work
properly?  Or is this something that must be worked out at the
manufacturer's level?  We are hiring a broadcast systems integrator so
hopefully they will know and be able to work out the issues.  But I would
also like to know for servicing issues.

It seems like there would be problems treating a frame as a field.  But I
imagine the software deals with each differently so long as it knows which
one it is working with.  Mixing a progressive frame and an interlace field
would need some special processing, although I am not sure what that
process would be.  Perhaps deinterlacing with predictive fields plus down
scaling to match the 720 raster?

Dan

"Richard C. Ramsden" <ramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/15/2008 11:29 PM
Please respond to
opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[opendtv] Re: Production Codecs

There is a hidden standard for dealing with 720p@xxxxx
It's exactly the same as 29.97.  29.97 is 59.94 fields/sec.  Treat each
progressive frame as an interlaced field.  Drop 4 frames where in 29.97
you'd drop 4 fields.  This method is used in all Harris (my employer)
equipment.  It's obvious, it works, and it doesn't break when you down
convert.

For 23.98, I expect that some application of 3:2 pull down can resolve
how drop frame can be applied.

SMPTE specs aren't very good these days.  There's more that's not there,
or vaguely spec'd than that is well defined.  MXF is a nightmare.  What
actually works is an agreement by the major players on what the spec
means to them.

Rich