[opendtv] Production Codecs

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: openDTV@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:51:28 -0700

Anyone interested in talking about production codecs?

I would like to consider using a "house" video production codec for our
new facility.  The way I see it, the following are possibilities:

AVC-Intra
DVCProHD
XDCam-HD
XDCam-EX
DNxHD
JPEG-2000 (?)

Any others to consider?

Some information on our application:
-We want to be as file based as possible with solid-state media from the
field and direct outputs whenever possible (see below).
-We would like to produce in 720P and 1080i, depending on the client,
1080i for airing on PBS and 720P for all formats requiring deep encoding.
-Our outputs include DVD (mostly standard DVDs but blu-ray in the future,
I suppose), internet streaming, submission to an SD network (OSTN) in
MPEG-2, an SD cable channel on Cox (live and automated output, with the
hopes of maybe an HD channel in the future), and internet VOD.
-We edit using Avid Media Composer and do not plan to change.

I would prefer to work in 1920x1080 rather than a "thin" raster (Avid used
that term for formats other than 1920x1080, if I understood them
correctly).  I don't think we can afford 1080@60P so will likely produce
in 30P or 60i.

We can work in 720@60P if need be.  But I hear that it has unique
qualities and not intermixable with other media.

So what are the brain-trust's thoughts and experiences?

Dan