[opendtv] Re: Product Half life

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 18:12:10 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Seems like the "half life" for broadcast TV has been incredibly long. We
> argue now about the ability of the the Internet to take on the task of
> delivering entertainment bits to the masses and whether legacy devices
> like PCs and TVs will be thrown on the scrap heap of history. Here;s one
> more shooting star that just lined on the pile...

The half life of books is even longer. The half life of kitchen sinks is even
longer than that.

The half life of the hoola hoop is quite a bit shorter (actually, I saw some at
WalMart the other day, but still, they have unquestionably exceeded their half
life).

Broadcast TV, including the cable channel variety, and including watching
broadcast TV over the Internet pipe, will continue to exist as long as people
are interested in seeing reasonably well done productions, for info or
entertainment. In addition to whatever texting or YouTube videos they may be
busy with most of the day.

Even if the Internet takes over the distribution task, this does not translate
to no more broadcast TV. Whether I watch broadcast TV in real time, or
time-shifted via my PVR, or as live streams or time-shifted over the Internet,
what I'm watching is unquestionably broadcast TV.