[opendtv] Re: Pro a la carte, Another Perspective

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:38:25 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

> But I have another reason why I am for a la carte.  I do
> want a la carte so that I don't pay for the channels that
> I don't want to watch due to content; but it is not because
> I want to lower the payment but rather I don't want to pay
> producers to produce content that I find negative to our
> society.

Fair enough. So, leaving aside any discussion of actual costs, the other
side of that coin is that these small, niche, perhaps
ethnically-oriented productions, or just plain old boring local Chamber
of Commerce and PTA meeting coverage, often mentioned as being
threatened by a la carte, would also disappear.

That's why Jonathan Adelstein opposes it. Those who think that TV has an
obligation to carry such "community affairs" programming would have to
face the reality that many of those programs can't pay for themselves.