[opendtv] Re: Print Story: European broadcasters focus on improved TV picture on Yahoo! News

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:55:04 -0400

Japan started terrestrial HD 18 months ago with three cities doing low
power. We have been at it 7 years and California is probably by far
leading the US in HD. And that is mostly cable or satellite while the
numbers from Japan are 2.6 million terrestrial and of that 2.6 million
2.5 million are integrated HDTV sets not HDTV sets being used to watch
DVD's or homes with multiple 8-VSB receivers because the viewer keeps
buying new ones trying to find one that works or OTA receivers in
satellite STB's that the owner doesn't even know about and has never
hooked up to an antenna.

The numbers for HD in the US are a mish mash of indeterminate value. If
you could break those numbers down into integrated HDTV sets, STB's
actually being used with non integrated HD sets, number of satellite
receivers attached to antenna, 8-VSB receivers actually being used and
8-VSB receivers that work well enough so that the viewer is not begging
for a better one and HDTV sets not hooked up to any HD service at all I
think the reality would be disappointing and hardly comparable to Japan
a nation about 1/3 our size.

Bob Miller