[opendtv] Re: Precision

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:38:36 -0400

Very interesting replies on this thread. I like the laser turntable too,
although I would expect it to suffer from the same analog noise problems
that stylus turntables had to deal with.

It's also interesting that with linear coding, both video and audio
appear to need at least ~14 bits per sample.

Dan Grimes wrote:

> Let us take audio as an example.  Audio can be sampled at 48,000
> samples per second, 16 bit, and it is "CD" quality.

A nit. That is actually better than CD quality. CDs use 44.1 KHz
sampling rate. Digital tape standards were 48 KHz.