[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 16:06:05 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> EVERY DTV sold has the ability to handle format accommodation when
> presented with a widescreen 16:9 signal from a STB or DVD player.
> There is no need to do anything but to set these boxes to widesceen
> 16:9.

Let me be a little more precise than my previous reponse.

Yes, every DTV sold can handle format accommodation, but ONLY if they can
accept either one of the two standard MPEG decoder options that have been
standardized: 4:3 or 16:9.

For example, the new Philips 21:9 display is feasible, but ONLY because it
"pretends," as far as the MPEG-2 decoder in the STB is concerned, that is
actually a 16:9 display.

If you and the FCC had said, back in the 1990s, "We don't need one single
display aspect ratio standard, as long as we list a reasonably small number of
standard choices that STBs can be set to (e.g. 4:3 and 16:9)," then perhaps
that would have been a true statement.

Another point:

> EVERY DTV sold has the ability to handle format accommodation

Big deal. So does every NTSC analog TV ever sold. The broadcasters simply
transmits black bars where the image does not fill the 4:3 screen!