[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 21:01:05 -0500

On 1/1/2011 6:26 PM, John Shutt wrote:
Cliff,

What brand and model of Blu-Ray player? This sounds not like a flaw in
the Blu-Ray standard, but a flaw in either your specific player make or
an improper setup (i.e. the Blu-Ray player wasn't told it is feeding a
4:3 television.)

This problem occurs *only* when playing a Blu-Ray disk of a *4:3* film like Fantasia, Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind or Robin Hood. These films display as letterboxed 4:3 on a 16:9 TV using HDMI, or from the NTSC output into a 16:9 TV. In both cases there are black vertical bars to the left and right of the 4:3 image.

The problem I have is when playing a 4:3 Blu-Ray film into a 4:3 TV set. When doing this the image displays with an aspect ratio of 1:1 with black bars on all *four* edges of the image.

I've attempted this experiment with Sony, Magnavox and Philips Blu-Ray players with the same result. There is no '4:3 Display' selection 'button' in the menus of any of these players that makes a 4:3 image appear on a 4:3 TV set.

The Blu-Ray Group apparently has decided that 4:3 displays no longer exist and chose to completely ignore them.

Or, perhaps they forgot about how popular these newly digitally restored HD films are with the viewing public...
EVEN IF THEY ARE PRESENTED IN ONLY THE ORIGINAL 4:3 ASPECT RATIO.

I have an HD-DVD player (closeout sale after the standard was abandoned)
and fed a 4:3 television HD-DVDs with no problems or image distortions.

John

A friend has a HD-DVD player, and I have the HD-DVD digitally restored 4:3 Technicolor version of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn. I'll have to see if it plays distorted or not on a 4:3 TV set.

Thanks,

Cliff