[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:46:47 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Dumb PCs.
>
> Mac negotiates with the display

Aaaahh, FINALLY.

And don't pretend I hadn't offered up that possibility about a zillion times in
recent posts, without you ever picking up on it. This is the same discussion as
why your TV STB *must* ask the user about the aspect ratio of his display.

You never wondered how this happens with your Apple products, and why common CE
devices like STBs and TV screens, especially when fed by one-way analog
interfaces, might not work that way? For instance, did you assume that an ATSC
STB, or a DVD player, or a cable STB, connected to the TV monitor via one-way
anlog interface, somehow got that display information back to the STB, by some
stroke of magic? You never thought that maybe your inbred Apple products have
their own walled-garden proprietary interface standards that let the MPEG
decoder know what the display looks like?

This has nothing to do with the MPEG-2 metadata that you keep harping about.
This is what the ATSC was trying to get the FCC to understand, and this is what
the FCC remained clueless about. But the industry, made up of people who have
to make their products actually work, thankfully took matters into their own
hands.

Note: I don't know this for sure, but possibly HDMI does offer such a 2-way
service. HDMI did not exist in 1991 or 1994, Craig, nor did the FCC, after
failing to set any display standards, force the industry to establish a two-way
decoder-monitor interface standard.

I mentioned this before, and I'll repeat it here. When I first plugged in my PC
to the HDTV, via RGB analog interface, the PC was set to 1360 X 768, but the TV
was set to its native 1366 X 768. Guess what, Craig? It didn't look right. The
right side of the screen was black. Since the HDTV did not come with a PC setup
disc, I had to hope that the PC or the TV had that strange setting already
available.

I checked the PC first. Nope. So then I went to the TV's setup menu. When set
to the RGB input, the TV's setup menu has an extra "screen" option in it, not
present in the other input settings. I opened that option, and voila, there was
the 1360 X 768 box, waiting to be selected. But I had to select it. The PC
didn't know from Adam.