[opendtv] Re: Poor quality PBS ATSC feeds

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 05:08:32 -0400

For multicastng stations I personally think they should consider 1440x1080i or even 1280x1080i like the sat guys sometimes do. I have no idea if it would break any receivers currently out there. But 1920x1080i just seems too large a resolution for multiple streams using MPEG-2 in 19.39 mbps.

- Tom

Mark Schubin wrote:
You are not alone. At each HPA Technology Retreat for the past few years, the PBS representative has reported that perhaps 5/6 of the PBS HD channel is upconverted. There was a story in a recent edition of the public-broadcasting publication Current about how bad that is and how upconverted material might actually stress encoders more than native HD.

As for the macroblocking, I don't know what the stations you are recording are doing, some are multicasting several channels in addition to the HD.

TTFN,
Mark

Kon Wilms wrote:

Folks,

Just an inquiry to check if I am not losing my mind (which may be true
regardless) -

Prior to NAB I captured a number of programs from local PBS stations
in LA (KOCE and others). Specifically wildlife, nova and other nature
feeds to use for 'demo' purposes. Well, until I actually got them onto
my PC and decided to play them fullscreen for a test. Half the
programming appeared to be upconverted 480p. The other half that was
720p or better had so much macroblocking from high compression that I
had to discard them completely. Unwatchable is an understatement.
Embarassing for whoever configured the encoder is probably more
spot-on.

Am I the only one having this experience?

Cheers
Kon

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx