[opendtv] Re: Point-Counterpoint: Peter Tannenwald Responds To The Chairman : CommLawBlog

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:28:04 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>>> WOW!
>>>
>>>  I think Peter pretty much nails it.
>>
>> Wow! How come I knew this would be your reaction?
>
> Because Peter, and therefore I am right?

No, it's because he was indulging in the same unfocused generalities that you
seem to favor.

> You have a choice.
>
> Let the congloms kill FOTA broadcasting.
>
> Or give a large number of local (and independent national) businesses, the
> freedom to use the spectrum they have occupied for more than a half century,
> the ability to compete with government supported oligopolies.

You got your two choices quite wrong.

One choice is to free the FOTA broadcasters of their antedeluvian burdens, such
as national caps, and see if they will sink or swim. Possibly, thanks to the
culture of MVPD dependency now well entrenched among consumers and congloms,
FOTA broadcasters would sink. But at least, the archaic regulations would not
be blamed.

The other choice is obvious. Yank away all of that spectrum, and either hand it
out to the current cell providers or to one or more new ones, to create the
two-way infrastructure for TV on demand and TV "broadcast." That's what the
article described.

It's not "more efficient use," unless by more efficient you mean that the
existing or new cell providers can now extract more money directly from
consumers. Just like any other telco or cellco would do.