[opendtv] Re: Point-Counterpoint: Peter Tannenwald Responds To The Chairman : CommLawBlog

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 17:31:24 -0500

Mark Aitken wrote:

http://www.commlawblog.com/2010/11/articles/broadcast/pointcounterpoint-peter-tannenwald-responds-to-the-chairman/

> I was thinking about the sorry state of affairs, read this piece,
> and was relieved to know that there are more than just a few of
> us thinking about how to save our industry! :-)

Dunno about that, Mark. I read in there the same old tired generalities that
I've heard from some on this list, for the past 10 years or so.

Of course the OTA spectrum can be turned into two-way video on demand service.
And you can even mix in some IP multicast streams in there. Seems to be what
he's advocating. But there's absolutely no silver bullet that will create more
spectral efficiency out of it. The whole spectrum can be repurposed to cellular
wireless instead of broadcast. The cost of infrastructure goes way up, and the
service becomes another telco-like service. AND the spectrum now used by
broadcasters won't be capable of carrying as many "broadcast" or IP multicast
streams as it now can, as a purely broadcast service.

(A cellular infrastructure is not an SFN. *And*, even if by some unpsecified
magic we create an SFN out of only some towers, the ones used in IP multicast
streams, the single-market aspect that US TV requires prevents any spectrum
savings from SFNs anyway. Not to mention, just creating the SFN eats up
spetcrum.)

Just state it in simple terms, rather than the "unleashing" and the "more
efficient schemes out there" vaguaries.