[opendtv] Re: Philips' invention blocks DVRs, set-tops from skipping TV ads

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:21:27 -0400

Jeroen Stessen wrote:

> Judging from the angry reactions, it is already
> backfiring.  :-( But that is to be expected. ANY
> measures for content management are not going to
> be appreciated by the public, who want everything
> to be free. I suppose that deep in our heart we
> are all communists ?

:) Thanks for the morning levity, Jeroen.

I have no problem at all with protecting content, however. I have no
objections with the notion that the guy writing a book, or painting on
canvas, or making a movie, or writing computer code, should be given the
same privileges as the guy building a boat or sculpting a statue. The
idea that somehow you're given certain rights to your creation as a
sculptor but not as a painter (for example) seems ridiculous. So I don't
think I qualify as any sort of commie.

But on the other hand, once I've bought, or legally obtained, that art,
I reserve the right to hang it wherever I please, to look at it or not
look at it, or to skip over it as I focus on other objects in the room.

What's obnoxious about this invention is not that it attempts to protect
intellectual property, but that it does so by having outsiders intrude
into my home and control my own possessions.

If ads are well done, people will watch on their own accord. If ads are
repetitive and uninspired, I should not have a broadcaster and a CE
company collude to control the object I bought with my money, in an
attempt to force me to view and uninspired ad.

But I do understand your point about getting the patent on something
someone else might want to build. Unfortunately, it's a little bit like
human cloning. One might find this to be morally offensive, but if we
don't so it, someone else will. The question is, do we find it offensive
enough that we'll agree to let someone else do it, as long as it's not
us?