[opendtv] Re: Philips' invention blocks DVRs, set-tops from skipping TV ads

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 07:20:04 -0400

Jeroen Stessen wrote:
 > Judging from the angry reactions, it is already backfiring.  :-(
 > But that is to be expected. ANY measures for content management are not
 > going to be appreciated by the public, who want everything to be free.
 > I suppose that deep in our heart we are all communists ?

I suppose most of us believe in the concept of ownership of private
property.  To me that establishes a useful set of protocols so we don't
have to argue as much over the disposition and use of all the objects in
the world.  For the most part, the owner of a property gets to choose
what happens to the object.  That is all simple and good.  I have little
problems with that.

The problem comes when a commodity can be freely or cheaply duplicated,
like can be done with ideas and information.  If property ownership laws
are used to keep this commodity in artificially short supply then you
might question whether total ownership laws applied to information are
really beneficial to society.  That is, do the benefits of giving folks
incentive to create new property really exceed the collective social
benefits of allowing the ideas or information to be duplicated and
distributed?

Where do we draw the line?  And am I a communist for even considering this?

- Tom