[opendtv] Re: Philips adds Net TV to new televisions

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:55:54 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Look at the NYTimes article I posted this morning. The value of
> content is returned over an extended period of time via syndication.
> The networks cannot get away with pulling their content from
> broadcast TV in favor of the MVPDs, but they CAN move the first runs
> to cable and delay release for the broadcast bottom feeders...

Maybe so. You have been saying this for many years, and the networks
have not done this yet. Imagine a situation where the networks control
their entire nationwide OTA network, in addition to having their content
on all the MVPDs. Would they have any good reason to pull their first
run episodes from their OTA network?

> 2. Is it necessary to censor the content to neuter it for broadcast
> TV standards.

Look back at the Janet Jackson wardrobe exercise. Did the FCC care
whether the content was viewed over cable nets or over OTA? Nope.
There's no reason whatever to assume that the rules are different,
except perhaps for premium cable channels.