[opendtv] Re: Philips ClearLCD technique for motion sharpness

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:15:03 -0500

At 9:14 AM +0100 1/19/05, jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>HCFLs are not less precise. Note that it MUST be a
>spatially distributed backlight, i.e. an array of
>horizontal tubes, as opposed to a planar backlight,
>i.e. a side-lit diffusor (as in most LCD screens).
>We have implemented a "scanning backlight", where
>each lamp is pulsed as late as possible, just before
>the corresponding part of the LCD data is refreshed.
>This works better than the "blinking backlight",
>where the whole backlight must be pulsed as one.
>Then some parts of the LCD would be illuminated
>while the LC molecules are still rotating, leading
>to more motion smear and double images.

Hmmmm...

Back to the future?

Sould like Philips just can't let go of scanning screens.

It will be interesting to see if this produces a similar
psycho-visual response to that of a scanning CRT.

This may be useful for legacy content, but it seems from here that
the correct approach is to deal with the shortcoming of the source,
rather than the limitations of the display to deal with sub-optimally
sampled sources.