[opendtv] Re: Philips ClearLCD technique for motion sharpness

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:19:41 -0500

At 9:26 AM +0100 1/24/05, jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>The LCD is always on, and so is the backlight. This is the perfect
>situation for still images: no flicker, and maximum efficiency.
>Unless you have a scanning backlight or a PWM dimming backlight,
>as I have explained to Doug in the other mail.

Thanks for the additional info.

So the bottom line is that LCD panels exhibit a behavior that is
similar to that of other constant illumination displays, but they are
scanned much like CRTs. Depending on the source that is being
displays, it may be necessary to do additional "tricks" to enhance
motion portrayal.