[opendtv] Re: Philips ClearLCD technique for motion sharpness

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:12:17 -0500

At 4:31 PM +0100 1/21/05, jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Craig wrote:
>>  Why not improve the on-board pipes to make it possible to refresh all
>>  pixels at the same time instead of using scanning techniques? Just
>>  curious.

Thanks for the great response. Your recent posts are "keepers."

>The design of an LCD is a tight balance between physical challenges...

Apparently so!

A quick question.

I understand the need for scanning now.

What are the hold times for each LCD pixel as compared to the rate of
decay for phosphors?

I tried taking some pictures of the LCD screen on my computer at
higher frame rates and I still see entire frames, at reduced
brightness. On the CRT monitor to the side which is being refreshed
at 75Hz, the camera sees only par of each frame at these higher
shutter speeds.

Can you explain what is going on here?