[opendtv] Re: Pay-TV industry not united on TV Everywhere

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:06:03 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

>> Take away the sort of pretense that Fox content in Baltimore
>> cable systems is sourced by WBFF.
>
> It isn't pretense when WBFF pays Fox for the content. So you
> think that WBFF should pay Fox for the Simpsons, then Comcast
> should pay Fox for carrying WBFF?

No. I think that Fox would deal directly with Comcast, or with the ISP and CDN,
or with the spectrum utility, to have its content delivered over these media.
The same as the Food Channel or HBO do.

Once you have removed the OTA transmission function from individual, *separate*
broadcasters, there's just no reason to involve that extra organization, i.e.
local broadcaster or station group. Already, for MVPD distribution, that extra
step is not technically essential anymore.