[opendtv] Re: Part 15

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:58:00 -0700

Let' see if I can help

There are different types of equipment authorizations: type approval (tests
by the fcc) , certifications and self-certifications.  I think I'm glossing
over a category.  Basically, the newer, novel devices require the FCC to
look at the device, while others just require the maker to send a postcard
or other notification to the commission.  One category just requires the
maker to store some data in the their files.

Part 15 has many, many subsections.  More than a few have to do with tv and
fm receivers.  "Intentional radiators" are computer and other devices that
are not RF communications devices per se, but which cause RF interference.
They are regulated by the FCC (for more than 20 years) to prevent
interference to reception of authorized (licensed) devices and systems.

Telephone devices are regulated under part 22 or 23 (going from memory)
cable devices are regulated in part 76.  Closed captions are covered by part
69.

There is language - strong language - in part 15 that prevents anyone from
operating an unlicensed device on the TV bands.  You will note that there
are provisions for FM transmitters under 100 mw to be unlicensed, but you
cannot have a tv transmitter at .00001 mw (at least a radiating one.)

I would hope that every wireless mic has attained part 15 certification at
least, since otherwise, the maker, seller and user are liable for FCC fines.

The type acceptance rules are some of the most obstruse of all the FCC
rules, and as the FCC has gotten smaller and the market has gotten larger,
more and more, the applicants merely certify or even self-certify their
equipment meets the rules.  The penalties for not meeting part 15 rules
(Hello! XM radio and Sirrius, with large fines in their future) are
significant, and fall upon multiple parties.

Hth

John Willkie

  _____