[opendtv] Re: Pan-scan-zoom (was: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 08:39:40 -0400

At 7:27 AM -0400 10/8/09, John Shutt wrote:
A brilliant concept, however I don't think I have ever come across even one DVD that has truly been encoded with "Pan-and-Scan" metadata. All widescreen DVDs I play on my 4:3 television, with pan-and-scan selected in the DVD player, always provides a 4:3 center cut, and that's all. For that matter, I don't think I have ever come across a DVD encoded with multiple scenes, either.

And we have the example like this Wizard of Oz release that deliberately disables pan-and-scan and viewer controlled zoom functions, because the content creator wants complete and total control over how his/her original concepts are presented.

If studios can't be bothered to encode simple scene-by-scene pan-and-scan metadata into DVD releases, why would they spend the extra time encoding scene-by-scene pan-scan-zoom information for multiple display sizes?

Good point.

Unfortunately, the TV industry really pissed off Hollywood with the choice of 16:9 for HDTV.

At least Philips is offering a display that is slightly wider than the AR that Hollywood wanted (2:1).

The net result is that Hollywood decided that the solution is to encode ANY AR into the 16:9 bucket with varying amounts of letterboxing. They really want you to see the entire picture; they do not want you to view their creations cropped.

And don't forget that Tilt and Scan is often a better way to extract a 16:9 aperture from 4:3 and other sources that do not fill the width of the 16:9 frame. Some of the studios are using this technique both for new production and for release of older titles.