[opendtv] Re: PSIP question for John W.

  • From: Ron Economos <w6rz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 03:29:03 -0800

Okay, replying to my own question. Looks like there's an amendment
at the bottom of A_65C that says to use the ATSC Code Point
Registry. So 0x5 is the correct service_type for software download
streams. Doh! I've been reading specifications for years, and I still
get hornswaggled.

Ron

Ron Economos wrote:

The local PBS station KQED-DT has started a DTV receiver firmware
update service. The new streams are included as programs 8 and 9
in the Transport Stream PAT. Unfortunately, users have been reporting
that DTV receivers are including these data programs in the reported
channel map (as 30.8 and 30.9 along with the correct 9.1, 9.3 and 9.3).

I took a look at the stream, and also the software download specification:

http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_97.pdf

A_97 states that there should be a PSIP TVCT entry for the data streams
with the service_type field set to 0x5. However, A_65C:

http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_65cr1_with_amend_1.pdf

states that service_type 0x5 is reserved. So the question is, what's the correct
setting of service_type for software download streams?

KQED-DT is not currently sending any TVCT entries for the software
download streams (although they just started sending the streams, so maybe
they just haven't got around to updating their PSIP generator).

Ron