[opendtv] Re: PSIP, cable guide info, and Zap2It

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:51:55 -0700

Tom;

I've never seen EPG info in HyHd, and due to my bias, I've turned off the
database dip that they do over the internet.

 I thought that you didn't use cable -- makes me wonder the real source of
QAM.

As to the copyright issue, I've never seen any copyrights in guide data.
Indeed, since TVG and TMS only keystroke listing information provided by
others for the sake of publicity and foreknowledge of program offerings,
they have little or no rights to the listing information (Sup Ct Feist
decision is on point here.)  And, since they are selling the information to
newspapers and TV stations for distribution to viewers and subscribers, they
have little ability to restrict redistribution.

The network or station has no real interest, even if they had the right, to
restrict the distribution of their offerings.

Ever see a copyright notice on a listing of movies at a theater?

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I strongly doubt that the existing
model of providing EPG listing data can be restricted by the distributor.

The data itself (psip bits) aren't copyrighted or copyrightable.  Rendering
them in text possibly could be.  Then, there's the patent issues ...

John Willkie