[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:50:21 -0500

At 11:11 AM -0800 11/24/04, Dale Kelly wrote:
>*Not* a legacy issue until such a platform is widely available and can be
>implemented and understood (operationally) by the average TV viewer.
>However, I do agree that such a system is likely the ultimate solution but
>not likely in the near term.

When I said legacy issue, I was implying that the CE vendors are
desperately holding onto the  home entertainment "legacy" that they
helped to create. A legacy of components that can be interconnected
and controlled using dumb remote controls that depend on "programming
the consumer" not the devices. All of the "logic" is inside our
heads, not inside the machines.

For example, even with a multi-function remote control, you will
still need to switch the TV/monitor input manually to the DVD player,
and most likely adjust the volume, and possibly the display mode to
optimize the presentation. These selections will be much the same,
every time you decide to switch from watching TV (cable/DBS/OTA) to
the DVD player, Tivo, or VCR. But this "logic" must be programmed
into the user, not the devices.

My wife and father-in-law still cannot master these simple
"programming steps." So when they want to watch a DVD or tape, they
call on me to push the buttons...

Now imagine having DVD, Tivo, and VCR icons on your "set-top" along
with icons for the TV channels you watch most often...

Or  a system as smart as my Powerbook, that puts the DVD controller
and video window up on the screen when I put a DVD movie into the
drive...