[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:01:51 -0500

My guess is that they themselves don't know. I don't think its that
uncommon for people to make bad guestimates for data delivery before
they have correctly scoped it. If you err on the side of caution and
scope every channel as carrying a fair amount of metadata with room for
future guide expansion (embedded images, etc.) and a decent response
time from a fresh population of guide data, then you easily reach 1Mbit.

IMHO The right way to do this at a low datarate is to carousel a 6-hour
time window with stripped guide data at a high bitrate (100kbits), and
trickle in the data for the rest of the week in multiple 'subchannels'
totalling something around 250kbits. I've seen people do very strange
and stupid things in the name of delivering guide data over atsc the
last couple of years.

Cheers
Kon