[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: "GerryK" <gerryk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:02:04 -0700

RE: TV Guide On Screen is set up to receive IPG data
overnight from the local PBS analog TV signal, which it can receive via
basic cable connections as well as OTA -

I'm not sure how much of the PSIP data will get transposed into the
TV Guide On Screen IPG, but I believe that Triveni Digital is working on
a system that would send the PSIP program guide data to the
TV Guide On Screen server in the area -

so the TV Guide On Screen IPG would have most of the
local TV listings available - but would not be able to track
real-time changes -

as others have mentioned - getting a useable IPG into the TV sets
using only the digital ATSC signals would require some coordination among
the
local TV stations, as well as some cooperation with the TV set manufacturers

One TV set manufacturer plans to provide a wireless Ethernet feature in
their digital TV sets,
so if the TV set owner has a wireless in-home network that also connects to
a broadband service,
the TV set can literally "surf" to the local TV Guide online web site, and
download the program
listings for cable, satellite, and local over-the-air TV programming that
way -

thanks for you comments

Gerry Kaufhold with In-Stat/MDR