[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:12:34 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> GerryK wrote:
> > by late 2005, we will see that the integrated TV sets,
> > with built-in features, will become the bulk of the
> > consumer digital TV market
>
> For sets larger than 36" the consumer may have no choice
> (because of the FCC receiver mandates), especially if
> monitors sell for the same price as integrated sets. If,
> however, monitors are cheaper, then I suspect that you
> will be proven wrong.

Gerry also stated the monitors would be no cheaper.

There comes a point at which it's easier for the
manufacturer to create a single product rather than
having to inventory two separate items. In other words,
the cost of marketing a product, which figures into its
price, is not based only on the cost of each component
part.

With the tuner mandate in place especially, it's not hard
to see that adding in a digital cable receiver, which
shares at least the same MPEG decoder with its ATSC
cousin, should be a small cost delta indeed.

And since we have seen combined ATSC and QAM tuner modules
for many years now, starting I think with the Broadcom
unit of four years ago, we already know that more than
just the MPEG decoder will very likely be shared.