[opendtv] Re: PR: I want my DTV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:15:28 -0400

At 9:28 AM -0400 7/1/04, Tom Barry wrote:
>I somewhat think the driver for HDTV in the USA will be the attempt by
>   cable companies to equate it with digital cable.  Thus it will be a
>stealth premium service, having an increasing amount of HDTV material
>that requires a digital cable subscription and various tiers to get.
>The cable companies still have a competitive bandwidth advantage in
>this over the satellite folks.
>
>- Tom

I agree with Tom. Premium and HD may well become synonyms if one is
looking at cable and DBS services.

I think that there is another driver as well, something that i have
written about in the June issue of Broadcast Engineering:

http://broadcastengineering.com/beyond_the_headlines/real-convergence/

I conclude that analysis with thew following provocative statement,
which no doubt will amaze some of the folks on this list who think I
am anti-HD:

>At the Panasonic press conference, vice president of marketing
>Stewart English plugged an Apple Powerbook into a Panasonic DLP
>projector and played a three-minute infomercial at full 720p
>resolution. HD has been devoured. Soon, digital media professionals
>will look upon the soft, fuzzy images of interlaced SD video just as
>people looked at those jerky, postage-stamp QuickTime movies a
>decade ago. HD is about to become the new currency of motion imaging.

Unfortunately, because of space limitations, some of my conclusions
did not make it into this column.

But the conclusions should be obvious. All of the pieces are in place
for content producers to create and deliver HD quality content in a
wide range of applications unrelated to entertainment oriented TV,
with one exception. Affordable HD acquisition gear is not yet
available, however this is likely to change in the next year or two.

When the average consumer sees that the video they see on a computer
screen, at a digital cinema, or on electronic signage,  looks much
better than the video they see on their TV, HD may become the new
currency I speak of in the article. That currency, however,  is going
to have its greatest value in non-broadcast applications for the next
few years.