[opendtv] Re: PR: I want my DTV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:37:03 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> According to the following report, it is DVD, NOT
> HDTV that is driving the adoption of new digital
> television displays in most areas of the world...

I think you seriously misinterpreted what the article
is saying. As in:

"High-definition television (HDTV) - a subset of
the overall DTV market - will eventually have a
dramatic impact on consumer education and
adoption of digital TV in certain parts of the
world."

And

"At this point, HDTV content delivery, and therefore
set adoption, is essentially limited to Australia,
Canada, Japan, South Korea, and the United States for
the foreseeable future. Digital TV in other parts of
the world will continue to be driven by advances in
flat-panel displays and the red-hot DVD market, ..."

Bottom line is that only in those parts of the world
where HDTV is unavailable will DVD *alone* drive the
adoption of so-called digital TV, according to this
article.

So when you say "in most areas of the world," it's
only true because "most areas" won't see HDTV for
some time!