[opendtv] Re: PR: EtherGuide Systems has a customer

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 01:20:34 -0700

What I'll be doing for them is to make their content delivery system ATSC
compliant (elementary streams and metadata) and eventually do the same for
DVB.  In addition, they are interested in using my program guide schedule
and notification system to populate EPGs on web sites (via XML) and to
viewers through opt-in email and wireless notifications.  The latter
subsystem was inspired by the powerful and flexible Topica interface:
multiple email addresses, enabling people to change delivery options on the
fly.  With a few more trix.

It's funny how quick things can change.  I'm trying to close the first
broadcast deal as well, so I had to make two technically-oriented calls
today to nail down some details on other gear and get prices and terms on
hardware elements.  Ended up with two more companies interested in my
services.

Here's a funny detail that people may not realize about metadata.  It's not
too much of a stretch that it will become more valuable than the content
itself, as long as it's just as timely.

May sound odd at first glance, but since most people have more program
offerings than they have time, and they only have a limited ability to
demodulate digital streams, so knowing what's the most important streams to
demodulate (and watch, or store, PARTICULARLY with one-time events) is just
as valuable, if not more so, than the content, in a 500 channel universe.

Or, maybe that's just the licorice philosopher in me speaking out.