[opendtv] Re: PR: Enhanced AC-3 Audio Specifications Serve Multiple Applications

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:08:59 -0400

Bert,

The Robust portion of E-VSB is claimed to have a S/N of 9 dB, so that is a
wash with DVB-T HM.  The LP portion of E-VSB is 15 dB vs. DVB-T HM's 19.6
dB.  However, as walking around in my bosses office will easily demonstrate,
there is more to receivability than carrier to noise figures.  At the 2000
NAB, the LP portion of the DVB-T HM stream was received on the convention
floor, where no 8-VSB could be received at any booth by any vendor.

The HM mode demonstrated at the 2000 NAB delivered 13.6 Mbps in the LP and
4.5 Mbps in the HP stream.  For E-VSB to deliver 4.3 Mbps in the HP stream,
it can only deliver 9.4 Mbps in the HP stream.

I do not consider 13.6 vs. 9.4 to be a wash by any stretch of the
imagination.  DVB-T has a 45% higher LP payload.

Oh yeah, all DVB-T chipsets sold today (and for the past 3+ years) support
HM COFDM.  It is a deliverable product, not a proposed standard.

Cheers,

John