[opendtv] Re: PR: Enhanced AC-3 Audio Specifications Serve Multiple Applica tions

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:22:25 -0400

Frank Eory:

> >Hey, don't blame ATSC for the fact that technology changes more=20
> >rapidly than the ability of standards bodies to keep up and reach=20
> >consensus on new technologies. Today's ATSC standards do not use the=20
> >best available video coding, the best available audio coding, or=20
> >even the best available RF transmission system.

Craig:
>=20
> Well, I think that they share in the blame for the real world=20
> situation you describe; the blame should also be shared by the=20
> Advisory Committee On Advanced Television Services (ACATS) and the=20
> FCC.

But today, all of this no longer matters.

> Interoperability
> Scalability
> Extensibility

... are managed in ATSC and DVB-T in the same way: via the MPEG-2
TS, the TS Packets, and the PES packets these TS packets carry.

Even if, in the beginning, A/53 restricted the extensibility of
the ATSC scheme, this is no longer the case. With A/90 and A/92,
the standard is as extensible as anything the IETF and the IEEE
have to offer (well, somewhat more limited by the unidirectional
RF channel, although even that is accommodated sort of).

A perfect example at the physical layer: notice what happens when
IEEE 802.11b is upgraded to 802.11g. This is small scale, but
otherwise comparable to upgrading ATSC to some future scheme.
IEEE 802.11b devices either quit working, or they drag 802.11g
devices down to their speed (within that WLAN).

Note: I am *not* saying that a CE product implementing ATSC is
necessarily as extensible as a computer product. But this
difference is caused by the nature of the product, not by the
way the standard is written.

What Frank says is however true in general. Standards bodies find
it difficult to keep up with everyone's cool new ideas. This
occurs even within the working groups of individual standards
organizations, where you have competing camps.