[opendtv] PR: Digital Transition Coalition Applauds Congres

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:31:17 -0500

Digital Transition Coalition Applauds Congress for Bringing Digital
Television to Millions of Americans - - Congress Passes Satellite
Home Viewer

November 22, 2004 12:00am
Source: PR Newswire

  PR Newswire: WASHINGTON, Nov. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- In response to
Congressional passage of legislation reauthorizing the Satellite Home
Viewer Improvement Act, the Digital Transition Coalition issued the
following statement:

"This bill's passage is a win for American consumers and an important
step in the digital transition. The Digital Transition Coalition
commends Congressional leaders for passing a SHVIA reauthorization
bill that includes the digital white area language. The
reauthorization of SHVIA presented the ideal opportunity for Congress
to make real progress on digital television and they took action.

"This provision will provide relief to millions of television viewers
-- particularly those in rural America -- who cannot receive their
local ABC, NBC, CBS, or FOX affiliate in digital. It will also help
speed the digital transition, which will free up spectrum, worth tens
of billions of dollars, and return it to the U.S. government for
auction to wireless companies and allocation to our nation's first
responders. The digital white area language offers consumers real
alternatives for digital network programming, regardless of where
they live; strengthens our economy; and helps our emergency services
get the tools they need.

"We are optimistic that this final language will be signed into law
quickly so that consumers will begin to reap the benefits and
taxpayers will see the return of the valuable spectrum.

"Upon passage, the DTC will continue working with Congress, the
Federal Communications Commission, and the Copyright Office to ensure
that the spirit of this provision is carried out so that all American
consumers can share in the great benefits of digital television. The
coalition will continue working on new initiatives that could further
speed the digital transition. This important development is only a
first step."

"We would like to commend Senators Ensign, McCain and Stevens in
particular for their commitment to helping consumers and their
courageous leadership on this issue."

  The Digitial Transition Coalition (DTC) is comprised of consumer
organizations, taxpayer groups, technology providers, and other
interested parties dedicated to expediting the transition to a
digital future. The DTC wants to maximize the use of spectrum to
allow optimal innovation and utilization to meet growing consumer
demand. For more information please visit
http://www.digitaltransitioncoalition.org.

SOURCE Digitial Transition Coalition