[opendtv] Re: PAL; 405 line pictures

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:57:25 -0800

Doug wrote:
> Dale Kelly wrote:
> > It's easy to
> >> forget that before satellite distribution in the 1970s, Americans
> >> seldom saw accurate color on their screens.

That wasn't my statement Doug. I'm with you on the poor design of many
early, and even later, color TVs. I also constructed an early Heathkit that
produced an image equal to most expensive studio color monitors.
On the other hand, there were also many poor transmission systems around the
country (I saw a number of them in my travels). You and I were fortunate to
have something good to work with. A lot depended upon where you were in the
AT&T distribution system and also the state of the studio and
relay/transmission equipment at the local affiliated TV stations.